Florida Flood Insurance

Homeowners / Primary Home

Flood coverage is not included in your homeowners or dwelling fire policies, but it is available for purchase as a separate policy. It covers damage due to flooding according to the guidelines established by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or FEMA. All flood policies are quote with an Elevation Certificate that is provided by a State Licensed Surveyor, but are not required for Preferred Risk Policies which are not in a flood zone.

Available Coverage

For homeowners, flood insurance policies are available to insure your home (dwelling) up to $250,000 and its contents up to $100,000. If additional coverage is needed, separate excess flood insurance policies are also available for purchase.

For renters, it is recommended that tenants purchase a flood insurance policy in addition to their renter's policy to cover contents. Up to $100,000 of flood coverage is available for renters.

Activation Period

Do not wait to purchase flood insurance until hurricane season or spring storms are headed your way! These policies are not effective until 30 days after purchase unless there is a loan closing. Contact your agent today to learn more about flood insurance policies and available options such as excess flood coverage.

The Number One Misconception is that homeowners insurance covers flood risk. In fact, homeowners insurance policies DO NOT cover flood damage, a point usually highlighted in bold letters on the first page of your homeowners policy.

The Second Misconception is that flood insurance policies are expensive. Actually, if your home or business is located in a Preferred Risk Zone as determined by FEMA, you can purchase flood insurance for as little as $129 per year.

The Third Misconception is that many homeowners think they do not live in a flood zone. In reality, FEMA has designated the entire state of Florida as a flood zone with varying levels of risk.

Review Your Policy

We highly recommend that you review your policy coverages on an annual basis with your agent. If during the year you plan to make renovations to your home, be sure to contact your agent so that your policy can be updated! Major repairs and enhancements to your home may also qualify for a premium credit. The purchase of big ticket items -- jewelry, electronics, collectibles may require riders. Make sure to check with your agent to be sure these new items are properly covered for a premium credit.

At Insurance Warehouses of America, our agents can write flood insurance, and they possess extensive knowledge to assist you with any questions or concerns! They act as direct representatives of FEMA and all flood insurance policies are processed through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).